Saturday, June 23, 2012

3 Significant Childhood Memories

The "D" tree.  What a great place that was to hang out with my siblings and cousins. We fished the creek, caught crawfish and smelts and whatever else moved.  Might not have all happened in this particular destination but my memory has jumbled them all together.  Time with my sibling and cousins when we lived across the street from each other, that was a childhood! We did so much and slept at each other's houses and so on and so forth.  I think back and can only really remember such great fun and joy.
I guess when I think of childhood I think of pre-teen so I can not really include the abandoned house we hung out in that was close to where my cousins lived.  But I think it deserves an honourable mention along with the friends that knew about it and enjoyed time with us there as well.  No need for names, I know and love who you are:)

When we moved from that house to St. Adolphe de Dudswell, it seemed like my playmates were gone!  Not so, we still saw each other lots and this new place had a great brook that had swimming holes and a place we lovingly called the falls.  You know how things are so much bigger as a kid then as an adult, I would like to think that these falls are still just as wonderful and big as I remember but chances are my kid eyes and kid stature made them bigger in my memory than their true size.  oh well, the falls and that brook are definitely one of those most terrific memories.

There are many memories and I can think of, many I would like to write about but I really want to mention the time when I was in high school, which in my high school that was grade 7 to grade 11. (we called them level 1 to level 5).  I know it is not a pre-teen memory but it is a memory of when I would still consider myself to have been a child, not really getting into adult stuff.
So I made new friends in high school, the english high school was a compilation of all the smaller english elementary schools in the area.  I made friends with a most wonderful girl named Kim.  The first or second summer she invited me to stay with her at her Grandma's cottage for part of the summer. My parents let me go and it was an excellent time.  The one thing I remember best about that trip was getting my hair cut and sending the hair locks through the mail back to my mom and dad!  My hair was pretty long and I think we cut it pretty short.  My parents were pretty easy going so it was funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment